Monday, October 8, 2012

marvelous mingle & more


I have loved the magazine Mingle ever since I laid eyes on the first issue. It's visually stunning, shares beautiful stories and is full of incredible ideas for meaningful gatherings and events. It's truly such an honor to be included in the current issue and be able to share our story too. Alessandra Cave and I worked together on the piece, which was a treat in itself, and we couldn't be more thrilled with how it turned out. The images brought it to life and how grateful I am that Alessandra, Julia & my mom were able to capture the essence of this little retreat of ours for others to enjoy. I know I've shared this before, but I'm truly shy at heart so it's a funny feeling (and of course a thrill) to actually see it in print. As much as I love our online resources, not much replaces actually holding a beautiful magazine in your hands and turning the pages with your fingertips. It always feels special. It really does. A most heartfelt thank you to Christen & Mingle for including us in their fall issue and invite you to take a peek if you haven't had the chance to check it out. It's just full of wonderful things!

While we're on the topic of magazines, have you read the latest issue (November) of Martha Stewart Living? It highlights their new American Made Award initiative that celebrates creative entrepreneurs, which I love. In fact, our own quilting teacher Heather Jones was a finalist! To have such a powerhouse supporting these courageous creators is an amazing thing for all of our communities. It inspires us, it motivates us and shows us all that, in fact, we can take the leap and go after what we love. "We believe we are at a defining cultural moment, when so many people are making a go of their creative passions and, in doing so, fueling a new American economy. There's an American 'juju' to working with your hands and building an enterprise." It gives me goosebumps just reading that quote in the editor's letter! And if you need any more proof of how good crafting and creating is for your health, well then read further and you'll find a fantastic article called 'This is your Brain on Crafts', which even finds parallel benefits to crafting and meditation. From a mediation 'student' and one who struggles to sit even for five minutes, I'd take making something any day over trying to quiet my mind! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment